Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dare to Act

Hi all, i want to share some of my experience with you. This thing happened while I am doing my final year under graduation. I am little bit interested in extracurricular activities. I like acting very much. I have performed acting in English Skits and Drama's in college days. One fine day I was called by my English Lecturer Sir. Vedharajan, coordinator of English stage events. I rushed to his room and found six more members were standing there. I was the senior one among the all

My lecturer started that, this year there will be a tough competition for the Youth Festival (an talent hunt which will be conducted for 3 days among various colleges more than 80 events will be there). He added we seven guys have been selected for the youth festival function for acting (English Drama, English Skit, Tamil Drama, Tamil Skit and Mime show). I was literally flying that i got an opportunity to act in the youth festival. It was my dream to get a medal during my college days. I know i can't get medals in studies. I am an average student. I was waiting for this opportunity and I got it. He added I will be the lead for this team. I was very much happy. I never thought that he had that much trust on me.

I felt very happy. He concluded his speech by asking me to prepare some good play for the respective events. I was overjoyed. In my home, I was telling to everyone about the opportunity I got. Except my second elder sister everyone scolded me and advised me to concentrate on studies as it was the final year. I was thinking about the medals only. The person who wins in an event will be awarded with the gold medal. Myself and my lecturer discussed lot of plays and we finalized the play for each event. We got completely struck when we discussed about the event Mime. Mime is an event in which 5 members can participate. No dialogues. Only Music we have to perform an action with some theme. The judges should be able to understand the theme. Based upon the theme winners will be decided.

We had lot of discussion but we were not able to come to a conclusion. During that period only Tsunami struck. We discussed why cant we take this and create a theme. I wrote a script with the theme India will recover very fast from any sort of disaster or problem. Depending upon that we created the play. The play was we are showing some fishermen. They are going into the sea for fishing. At that time tsunami comes and destroys their belongings and relations. They return and find this disaster. They cry and they were consolled by the helping charity. After few days they are returning to the normal life. During this play the "Bharath Matha" will be shown and the expressions will be shown in the face.

I took the role of "Bharath Matha". My role was very simple. I have to stand in a way that I am holding the flag. But there wont be any flag. I have to stand till the play ends. In one scene I have to cry on seeing the dead people (no one will be there). While practising the play i was performing the scene. My lecturer stopped me and he said he didnt see the expression he want. I was repeatedly doing that scene in 5 different way. Finally he performed that scene, it was amazing I never expected that he would act like that. We clapped to cheer him. End of the day we had a personal talk. His words inpired me a lot. He said if you want to be an actor, each and every nerve in your body should act. I cant forget those words.

I made myself ready for that and performed in a way that he was satisfied. For that event there will be seperate marks for uniformity. So we guys shaved our head and applied aluminium powder over our body and we performed the play in the stage. Silence for few mins. Slowly clapping started and it was there for few mins. I cant forget that moment. We won 1 gold medal and 3 silver medal in that competition. My dream came true. Still I have interest for acting but I am not getting an opportunity rather I am not searching for that opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment